Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lampung: Teluk Betung District


When I first arrived in Lampung, people often asked me whether I live in Teluk or Karang area. I said how could I know, I live in Bandar Lampung.

Later on I discovered that two regions are separated by quite great elevation that make uphill and downhill road between both areas. Karang lies on higher ground, and Teluk lies on lower ground.

If I bike between both areas, from Karang the road is a nice downhill, you just enjoy the ride without even need of pedaling. But the trip home, oooh I need to take short break between the uphill trip. My poor legs......


What I've learned is that Teluk is a kind of old commercial area, but it's still neatly organized. If a place should be called Chinatown in Lampung, I would point out to Teluk area. I can see a lot of mom-and-dad-store there. On Sunday morning you could find some people cycling also looking for breakfast or going to the market.

It's the location itself that gives the name "Teluk Betung", yes because it lies on Lampung's gulf which also directly faces the sea.

The landmark for myself on this area are:

  1. Yen-yen, a shop for buying banana chips, a trademark of souvenir from Lampung
  2. Eleste, partner of Bayu Buana tour and travel(Siemens favourite travel company)
  3. Mie Lampung 1, the original of many Mie Lampung restaurant across the city.
  4. Mandarin "what heck is the name" Christian Church, first find in town!
  5. Sheraton hotel
  6. Putri Ganesha, notorious as **esek2** hotel?

I like this new city, new place for the adventurous.... hahahahaha.....