Thursday, February 05, 2009

I am an Indonesian!

Geez.. why other people always have misconception about my home country?

Appearance
I was stopped twice by securities check at Chinatown MRT. I considered the first time as normal, since I was carrying mountain-climbing-backpack contains all the supplies I need from Indonesia (bed cover, body care and cosmetics supply). But the second time, it couldn't be normal, since I was only carrying normal school backpack.
So I after I opened my bag and showed the content, I asked (in mandarin):
Me: "Am I doing anything wrong?"
X :"No, no.. where are you come from?"
Me: "Indonesia"
X : "Ha... you're not from China?"
Me: "No, why?"
X : "I thought you're from China"
Me: " What's wrong with people from China"
X : "Lot of them are bad people"
What's wrong? In this heavily infested Chinese country, why they picked me to be the one from mainland China?

English
"Are you from Philippines?" I had been asked this question more than three times until current date. And the correct response would be "I thought you're from Philippines, your english is so Filipino alike." And one person even said "Your english doesn't sound like Indonesian."

Mandarin
This the only thing that undoubtly declares me as Indonesian! Even on such a simple remarks:
Me: "21st floor" (二十一楼)
X : "Aaaah from Indonesia are you?"

I just only said four words! Hahahaha... I understand now what my father had said before "People will not be able to hear your mandarin, the accent is so javanese."