Saturday, June 02, 2012

Pink Dot is Coming (again)!

This year promotional video is a bit gloomy. But according to the director: "it is meant to address some important and very real issues (link here)."


Last year I was enthusiastic because the ambassadors was my favourite local actresses: Dim Sum Dollies (miss you always Emma Yong). This year, on a weird occasion, I was at one of the Pink Dot's launch campaign, and I still remember Sharon Au (one of this year ambassadors) shouted: "I love gaaayss..... because all of my best friends are gaaaays!!" Hahahaha...

As a foreigner I am not allowed to participate. And even though fairy godmother Dorothy dropped by and gave me the opportunity, I would be reluctant to participate. Why? Somehow I fell back home we also have the same struggle and unfinished homework. There are some muffled voices that need to be heard.

This pink dot is not my dot. The elements to form "my dot" are still scattered as hookers at Taman Lawang, beauticians at low class beauty parlour, joke materials-cum-singers at public transports, etc. This materials are not the smiling pictures of  "normal" gay prides. There is no glamour-sparkling-rainbow on it.

You might wonder, instead of working as lawyers, doctors, architects, consultants, why they work on such ridiculous jobs? Why?

Indonesia doesn't have laws to criminalize LGBT people, but the treatment can be (is) much worse. And there are some groups who want to have law to criminalize LGBT people in this 21st century!

I believe as a nation we should sail forward, we will need every potential and capability to make this happen. Imagine a ship with determined crews versus a ship with crews who are fighting with each other. Which one will sail faster? And we really-really-desperately need to catch up with other nations. There is no time to lose.

Speaker's Corner (where the Pink Dot is held) is just a walking distance from my home. However on 30th of June there is something on my agenda. I am not sure if I can drop by this year. But if I am able to, I hope I can take some interesting pictures.

Wish you the best of luck Singapore!