Monday, July 02, 2012

1!

Number of dragon boat competition that I've participated in!

and also the first time i've participated in the festivals listed on yoursingapore.com!


Please note the word "fittest" ahemm....totally isn't me. Other people will row gallantly and valiantly, but if by chance on that day you noticed an almost die paddler...ah that must be me.

800 m on DBS Regatta light boat, and sudden jump in pace was like 5 mins running in hell.

However against all expectations, we managed to reach the semi finals! We failed in our heats, but qualified for repenchage. Managed to be the second in our repenchage (only by difference of 10 miliseconds with the third), thus qualified for the second repenchage. If we passed this last repenchage, we would go directly to the finals.

We didn't aim for the finals, and realistically speaking our timing history is never good enough to compete in the finals. So without all expectation we rowed our last set with relaxed composure. However the boat seemed happier, morale seemed higher, people had more strength to response for calls and the last charge. With this relaxed composure we didn't finish last on our last repenchage, only 3-4 secs difference with our best timing of the day.

Our team on the land reported that on one point we managed to be the first, and if we maintained it, we would glide into final. But oh well...we had different goal on that day.

In total, against the expectation that we only paddled for one round and then go home, we paddled for three rounds, and I was in the boat for those three rounds :(.

From the first time holding paddle on April to this point, I am considered myself given privilege by the team to sit on the competition boat. I am not a good paddler and can be considered the weakest person on the boat (but at the same time I am also the newest guy on the team). Yet not many people on the team can sustain paddling for 800 m in racing pace. On the race coach kept yelling at me, taping my shoulder and poking me with paddle.

Looking back, it seemed I dunno... weird. From the first trial out of curiosity to this very point. But i am glad that I end up with this team. It is not the best team, because for sure the best team will not take me, but this is the team that willing to take people with any backgrounds and grow from there. We set our goal, we did our training, and we did our best.

Perhaps.....in one a zillionth chance.... could it be also that I make new friends?

For the second season, hmmm... I am more willing to see people who couldn't participate in this SDBF to paddle in the next competition: Singapore River Regatta. It is going to be 200 m event, so people who are weaker in stamina surely can join in. I am not a sprinter, more to a long distance-er.

So for the moment, I am enjoying the break, and two weeks later we will begin "paddles up!" for the next season.