Saturday, October 25, 2014

Taboo

It just happened that I was being asked "Why you are full of taboos?". I am a bit of surprised. Traditionally Chinese has a set of taboo, I think it is called Feng Shui. But as they emigrate (oh well you know some Chinese, they can't sit or stand still), they also learn along the way.

Being raised in a "very wild south east asian country", I also learned the same thing. The first shock impression that I get is why the local is so hostile towards yes me, a fat Chinese immigrant boy. And also I don't understand why my parents are so culturally bound to China, which seems so distantly related to the concept of survivalibility.  It's just like: "Hello, I'm getting punched down here and you're talking about learning Chinese???"

But apart from that, one of the greatest thing my father ever taught me is the concept of taboo itself. How to identify sudden recess on the beach, to carefully step down the cliff, until the very superstitious thing: how to pee in the wild.

As I returned for work (I can safely say now: it was holiday work!), jokingly I often use the toilet concept as a joke. Don't have toilet, I'm sorry this Chinese immigrant won't go unless die die need. Yes I am a momma boy, but take it this way: in a place where toilet is nowhere to be found, someone has to be wise.

In recent trip to Europe, I can say I safely snap pics as I go. Worse come to worst, someone will complain, or government will throw me to jail. That's all. But in my country you don't want to get sued by uh oh..."that something".

I had encountered one or two occasions when I was like talking to myself:
"Hey this is interesting, take picture!"
"But what if something else appears,  like in the horror movie?"
"Horror movie is just horror movie, you know for yourself"
"Yeah...but this one is out of the movie.."
"Really that beautiful meh?"
"Ya lah, interesting,  for research!"
"Just ask you this, should the picture is well developed, do you really want to see it on later days?"
At the end I said....forget it.

Perhaps it was local custom try to protect something,  or perhaps it was the work of person who tried to tap and steer forces not understandable by...a Chinese immigrant.

But this Chinese immigrant knows as he gets closer to the land and the people itself. In the analogy, it is like reading gospels and playing detectives. You just have to follow the trails, and I think everyone should judge by him/herself at the end.

Personally I know forces which I consider the wisest of all that I ever known else than God. The secret of beauty and danger of this land. It might look idle because it lives on different time scale than ours. But once it moves, I think even Chinese immigrants can only take a look at each other and ask..what else can we do?

The clues are: lake toba and lake maninjau and yes that big blue ocean and whatever mountains and valleys beneath.

And knowing living on top all of this, these people live in a way that a chinese immigrant can only look in envy. They smile, sing and dance! I am really speechless and can't think of any PhD ideas. One can think about financial risks, life insurance, data collection, etc, but it won't suffice. The timeframe is just too long to make it strategic, but once it happens, look at the statement above.

But yeah, perhaps one can start by going the enginereed way...like karaoke. Can't really sing, it's still ok. Otherwise this Chinese immigrant will have to start to sing and dance too, which honestly I think you should see the locals. They're just better at every aspects, no bullshit and honest truth. Chinese immigrants, every one knows...trader problem.

Because I once was in the same dilemma too:
*Open window
"Wah what a breathtaking view, take picture!"
"But that's a one fucking badass volcano!!!"
"Yeah but it looks really handsome now le..."
"But you know the story right...once upon a time and countless people died"
"Yeah but..."
"But..."

I think the locals will shake their head should they know about this...and they will think: "oh gosh, that Chinese immigrant really....can't get it"