Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love, made complicated

"Love" in English, "爱" in Mandarin, and "Cinta" in Indonesia. Still a great mystery(read: misery) to me.

In normal life I see love as:
  1. Sets of logical rules which satisfy X condition : "if X then love(me,P)", whereas X is a logical statement such as "have a lot of money(P)", "buy me dinner(P)", or "cute(P)". Although the weighting factors are differs from one person, but the most used logical statements pretty much the same such as "sexy(you)", "have money(you)", etc.
  2. Investment rules. Where some amount of resources(time, money, kindness, etc) are put into use, and after some amount of time we expect return and of course profit from it. Furthermore certain target must be met inside defined targeted time-frame, for example: "kiss him/her on the X-th date". Otherwise the investment can be said as "not profitable" one and can be diverted.
The main problem is love takes .. well let just say for this moment ..two entities into account (more than 2 can create combinatorial explosive problem), and all of those entities expect the conditions that satisfy love to be the same until the end-life of those entities (constant on all given time-frames).

However due to dire luck, problem would arise when on certain time-frame these conditions could not be satisfied.
example:
time-frame 1 : sexy(P) == true
time-frame 5: sexy(P) == false
Which would fail the love condition. Most of found cases are failed on faithful(P), or have money (P).

On investment terms we can define "time frames when these condition are not met" as local minima (we expect the situation can be better on future time-frames). We need evaluative method to determine that this local minima is not global minima. And again this differs from one person to another.

However, I stumbled upon this statement:
"When love dies, one hates in return.
Till we learn to love unconditionally, one fine day"

IF we love unconditionally: If true then love(me,P). That statement means I always love P, and never have to come into hate state. That will be wonderful! Since nobody want to hate nor to be hated.

On investment terms, I am going to invest any amount of resources and I will be satisfied with any result. Even if the result was not good in others terms, but since I satisfied with it, then I was happy!
This will be an utopic state.

Everyday in this busy world, a lot of us are struggling to find our love from thousand of possibilites with any means of mechanism.
For me personally, I think I will stick to the classic approach (set of logical rules, investment model), and I can live with the hate part. But as the time goes by .. someday..sometime, I'm sure that I will have to relax the conditions and learn the unconditional way.